Type of Operation:
A person who transports property.
- This permit authorizes your operations only in Virginia.
- You can transport household goods only if the goods are delivered to a place that is less than 31 road-miles from the place where you picked them up. Household Goods - personal effects and property used or to be used in a dwelling, when a part of the equipment or supplies of such dwelling, and similar property if the transportation of such effects or property is (i) arranged and paid for by the householder, including transportation of the property from a factory or store when the property is purchased by the householder with intent to use it in his dwelling or (ii) arranged and paid for by another party.
- If you receive a written claim of loss or damage on any household goods that you transported, you must:
- On the claim itself, write the date you received it.
- Within 30 days, send the claimant a written acknowledgement of receipt of the claim.
- Within 120 days, you must:
- Pay the claim, or
- Send written notification that you decline to pay the claim, or
- Make a firm compromise settlement offer in writing.
- If the claim is not processed or disposed of within 120 days, send the claimant a written report of the status of the claim every 30 days, along with the reasons for the delay.
- You may not, by contract or otherwise, shorten the length of time a person has for filing a claim to less than 30 days or shorten the time for filing a suit to less than two years.
Tariff and Time Schedule Requirements:
$750,000 - Bodily Injury and Property Damage
$50,000 - Cargo
License Plates: For-Hire license plates
Vehicle Registration: Must be registered as for-hire
Operating Authority Registration:
- IRP Vehicles - Obtain operating authority decals as proof of operating authority registration
- All Other Vehicles - The operating authority information will be displayed on the vehicle registration card when the for-hire license plates are issued.
$10 Operating Authority Registration fee per vehicle
$3 for a duplicate permit
Address Change - You must report any new address to DMV's Motor Carriers Services within 30 days.
Discontinuing Service - If you go out of business or stop providing the service authorized, you must notify DMV in writing within 30 days.