How To Apply for IRP
To register your vehicles in Virginia, you must:
- Title each vehicle in the fleet in Virginia.
- Determine the type of operation.
- Submit a Virginia Apportioned Registration Application (Form IRP-1).
- If you want to register your vehicle at a different weight in another jurisdiction(s), submit an Apportioned Registration Jurisdiction Weight Schedule (Form IRP-3 ).
- Provide proof of Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) filing with IRS (Form 2290, Schedule 1), if applicable.
- DMV will calculate your apportioned registration fees and provide you with an invoice.
- Return the invoice and submit the appropriate fees. In return, DMV will provide apportioned cab cards, license plates, and decals if applicable for each vehicle.