Fuels Tax - Reporting
If you have a fuels tax license, you may have to file fuel activity information monthly to DMV. Fuels tax licensees required to report activity in Virginia must submit monthly fuel activity information electronically.
Whether you are required to submit fuel activity information or not, you are required to maintain a record of your fuel activity and DMV may inspect your records.
Who must file a report?
- Aviation consumer
- Bulk user of alternative fuel
- Fuel alcohol provider
- Motor fuel transporter
- Provider of alternative fuel
- Retailer of alternative fuel
- Terminal operator
When is the fuel activity information due?
Fuel activity information must be submitted by the 20th day of the second month after the activity month, with one exception: Fuel activity for the month of May must be submitted by the last day DMV is open for business in June.
How do you file?
All filers are required to file electronically.
Virginia has three methods for filing fuel activity information electronically:
- direct filing over the Internet into DMV's fuels tax system, or
- transmission of EDIX.12 via FTP services, or
- transmission of ASCII Flat-file via FTP services.
For more information, refer to Electronic Filing.