Escort Vehicle Driver Training Program
DMV is committed to promoting transportation safety through the certification of quality driver training programs.
The purpose of training, testing, and certifying escort vehicle drivers is to promote a clear understanding of proper escort vehicle operations.
The training program provides a solid foundation for conducting escort vehicle operations in a safe and professional manner. Specific objectives of the program are:
- Enhance the safety of the traveling public
- Enhance the safety of the people involved in the movement of the over-dimensional load
- Prevent damage to the highways and road system - overhead obstacles and road shoulders
- Prevent damage to the load being transported
- Reduce undue delay to the normal flow of traffic
- Assure continuation of the industry's safe transportation record
- Prevent increases in insurance costs for the trucking companies due to loss claims
- Avoid costly damage suits
- Encourage uniform escort operations
When properly trained, escort vehicle drivers provide benefits to all parties involved in the transportation of over-dimensional or oversized loads: the manufacturers themselves, the trucking companies transporting the loads, the general motoring public, and all other drivers and pedestrians on our highways and roads.
Becoming Certified as an Escort Vehicle Driver
To be certified as an escort vehicle driver, you must successfully complete 8 hours of classroom training at a facility approved by the Virginia DMV and pass an escort vehicle driver certification knowledge test at a DMV customer service center. To locate an escort vehicle driver training site nearest you, refer to Escort Vehicle Driver Training Sites.
If you have any comments or concerns about this course, call our toll-free number at 1-877-885-5790.