Ineligibility to Renew Online, by Telephone or by Mail
We are unable to renew your driver's license online, by telephone or by mail if:
- You hold a commercial driver's license (CDL).
- You are required to take the knowledge exam.
- You are under 21 and you have received one or more traffic convictions.
- Your license has expired.
- Your license is suspended or revoked.
- You have failed the DMV vision screening.
- You are restricted to daylight driving only.
- You want to have the vision restriction removed from your driver's license after having laser surgery to correct your vision.
- Your name needs to be changed or corrected on your driver's license.
- You hold a learner's permit.
- You hold a Virginia ID card.
- You owe money to DMV for a prior transaction.
- You have a profile picture on your driver's license.
- Your driver's license expired more than one year ago.
- Your driver's license will not expire for 6 or more months.
- You have a driver's license image that needs to be retaken.
- Your customer number on file needs verification.
- You do not have a Virginia address.
- You have moved out-of-state and gotten a new license in that state.
- You hold a driver's license with a school bus (S) endorsement.
- You have a social security number (SSN) that does not match your SSN on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- You are required to present proof of legal presence.
- Your last renewal was completed using an alternate renewal method (online, by touch-tone telephone or mail).
- You are under medical review.
- You are age 80 or older. (You must take the vision screening test.)
Please contact us if you have questions.