To notify us of a change of address, update the disposition of your vehicle or request a PIN, use our online services. We also offer additional preferred service options for performing many DMV transactions.
Before Contacting DMV
- Check our FAQs.
- At DMV, we are committed to protecting your privacy. Due to strict privacy laws, we can only talk to you about your own record. If you are contacting DMV for someone else, we will not be able to discuss their record with you. For more information, please see Release of DMV Information.
- Make sure that DMV has your most current address on file so that you receive mailings of all DMV correspondence. If DMV does not have your current address, you may miss important communications regarding your driver or vehicle records. For more information, please see Change of Address or Name.
DMV DIRECT - Telephone Services
- Monday through Friday -- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (et)
- Saturday -- 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (et)
- (804) 497-7100
- For deaf and hard of hearing customers, connect with the teletypewriter device (TTY) at 1-800-272-9268.
Automated Telephone Transactions:
- See a complete list of available automated telephone transactions.
Fill out our secure online form that encrypts your personal information. To ensure timely responses, you'll be asked to provide your full name, customer number, the subject of your question or comment, an email address and a telephone number. This information is used solely to respond to questions about your DMV driver/vehicle record(s).
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
- P.O. Box 27412
- Richmond, VA 23269
Check out our online services, where you will find everything from renewing your vehicle registration to checking the status of your online transactions.
- Visit DMV Media Resources.