Safety Grants Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible for applying for VAHSO grant funding?
- Local governments, law enforcement agencies, state agencies, academic institutions, and private non-profits can apply for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration pass-through funding for projects related to various areas of highway safety.
- When does VAHSO announce the annual request for proposals?
- VAHSO typically announces request for proposals January 31.
- What is the due date for submitting a proposal?
- Proposals must be submitted on or before March 31.
- What criteria does VAHSO use to evaluate proposals for funding?
- VAHSO evaluates proposals using several criteria, including potential traffic safety impact of proposed activities; collision statistics and rankings; seriousness of identified problems; performance on previous grants; proportionality of funding requested with identified traffic safety problem(s); and the value of the funding requested for the proposed activities.