Prohibitions and Allowances for Salvage and Nonrepairable Vehicles
It is unlawful for:
- A salvage pool to sell a salvage vehicle to any person who is not a scrap metal processor or licensed as a salvage dealer, rebuilder, demolisher, vehicle removal operator or motor vehicle dealer.
- Any person to sell a nonrepairable vehicle to any person who is not a scrap metal processor or licensed as a salvage dealer, demolisher, or vehicle removal operator.
- Any person to sell a rebuilt vehicle without first having formally disclosed in writing that the vehicle was rebuilt by providing the buyer with a Rebuilt Vehicle Discloser Statement (VSA 59).
- A scrap metal processor to sell a vehicle or vehicle components for parts.
- A salvage pool, rebuilder, salvage dealer, vehicle removal operator, demolisher, or scrap metal processor to demolish or scrap a motor vehicle without reporting the vehicle's disposition to DMV.
It is lawful for:
- A salvage dealer to sell vehicle components or parts to unlicensed persons.
- An individual to dispose of a salvage vehicle that was acquired for their own use if it was acquired in good faith and not to avoid the provisions of the salvage laws.
Declaring a Vehicle Salvage
Declaring a Vehicle Nonrepairable
Repaired/Rebuilt Vehicle Examinations
Salvage General Licensing Information
Virginia Salvage Code Sections